Tim and I tried this while my mom was in town visiting, and we liked it. It is off of http://www.paleo.com, but it’s also just a healthy, tasty recipe! My mom hates mushrooms, but she just picked them out and didn’t notice the flavor in the sauce.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 8-10 white button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- Marinate chicken in 1 Tbs olive oil, sea salt (optional), black pepper, chili powder and garlic. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Shortly before meal time, heat 2 medium skillets over medium-high heat.
- In one, saute marinated chicken until browned and almost fully cooked.
- Heat 1 Tbs olive (or coconut) oil in the other skillet. Add onion and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and continue to cook until tender.
- Add red pepper, coconut milk and browned chicken and stir. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is completely done.
I am a fan of adding any and all of your favorite vegetables to any recipe you make! If you are using coconut milk for the first time, don’t be alarmed by the nutrition information…it has quite a bit of fat, but if you look at how little milk each serving of the finished product has, it actually contributes a nominal amount of fat. Let me know if you like it!!